If I was involved in an auto collision, what should my compensation be?

I was a passenger in a medical van when it was hit by another driver who illegally ran a red light. I was slammed left and right in the van hitting my head because the handle of my wheelchair broke. The right side of my face became numb after I banged it and I became disoriented. The driver fled the scene. I went to the emergency room and then had chiropractic treatment for 6 months. I sued for pain and suffering as I have a neck injury and suffer for severe pain, discomfort, anxiety, sleeplessness, fear and other psychological effects all attributed to the negligence of the other driver.

Asked on July 11, 2015 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your compensation in your personal injury case should include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, and compensation for wage loss.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.

Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  There isn't any mathematical formula for determining compensation for pain and suffering.  It is based on the medical reports which document the nature and extent of your injury.

I would ask for quadruple the medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering, but not expecting to get that.  That would be a starting point for purposes of negotiation and I would expect to get less.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.