If I was involved in an accident a year ago and wrecked my boyfriend’s uninsured car, am I held responsible?

They sent him multiple letters in the mail about a amount he owed. Now they are sending it to me because he failed to answer.

Asked on April 6, 2015 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your boyfriend is liable because he is the registered owner of the vehicle.  You are alos liable as the driver.

Since the vehicle was uninsured, you and your boyfriend can be sued for the property damage to the other vehicle that was not at fault in the accident and for the personal  injury claims of the occupants of that other vehicle.

Liability for the property damage is the cost of repairs to the vehicle that was not at fault in the accident.

Liability for the personal injury claims of each occupant of the vehicle that was not at fault in the accident will include medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.