Was I wrongfully terminated?

They know I am a jehovah’s witness and Hispanic. The general manager of the store accused me of being prejudice against black people. I complained to hr. Then got retaliation. My supervisor has told me more than one occasion that she does not like jehovah’s witnesses. Even mentions her father who is a jehovahs witness and says all the bad stuff that religion did to him. She picks on all my work and scrutinizes every mistake. Unlike other employees in which mistakes are overlooked or given a slap on the hand. When they fired me they had no proof of signed paperwork that I did anything wrong.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Aryeh Leichter / Leichter Law Firm, APC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The key issue in determining if you have a claim for religious and/or racial discrimination under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (assuming you have met all procedural thresholds and no exceptions apply)  is whether you were terminated BECAUSE of your religion or race.  Obviously, more information is needed to make that determination.

If you would like to discuss the matter further, please give me a call (213-381-6557) or send me an email ([email protected]).

All the best,

Ari Leichter

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.