What can I do if I was hit by another driver nd now the insurer won’t give me a fair settlement?

I was sitting in traffic stopped and another vehicle hit me pushing me into another vehicle. I called the person’s insurance company and their adjuster totaled my car 3 year old car. The insurance company offered me a little under $13,000 for the car. The problem is that I can find a car, almost an exact replacement but the amount is minimally $14,000 – $15,000 not including sales tax. I’ve argued this with the adjusters but they won’t budge on providing me more resources to replace my car. I even suggested for them to buy the car for me but they said no. Should I just take the amount offered or should I fight them?

Asked on July 11, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse when the settlement offer is unsatisfactory, is to file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party (the registered owner of the car that hit you). Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.