How much time do I have to give my ex-spouse to leave?

I was divorced in 8 months ago and got the house. However, I let the ex stay for the winter but it’s summer now.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you graciously allowed your "ex" to stay in the house that you received in the marital dissolution and time is now for the "ex" to move on, the best way to do so is with a thirty (30) day written notice of termination of the tenancy. You need to complete the notice, make a copy of your records and service it upon the "ex".

Hopefully the "ex" will be moved out on this thirty (30) day period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.