How do I proceed if I was charged with DUI of a controlled substance but found out the medication I was taking is not a controlled substance?

After work one night at around midnight. I had pulled over to put in my contacts. I was legally parked when a cop approached my window to check on me. Only when I started talking did I notice that I felt dizzy, woozy and a little messed up from my medication. I realized that I had not eaten all night (8 hours) before taking my meds. I performed roadside sobriety tests and failed because I was arrested. They drew blood at the jail and I was charged with “operating a vehicle while under the influence of controlled substance”. I found out the medication actually isn’t controlled.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the factual circumstances that you have written about and the charge against you for driving a motor vehicle under the influence of a controlled substance, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney with respect to your defense as stated in your question.

Most likely to go forward with your defense you will need to retain an expert to give testimony that the medication was not a controlled substance and that you were not under the medication's influence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.