What to do if I was arrested for a failure to obey lawful order?

There was an apartment fire in my building and an officer told me not to go in. However, I ran into my apartment to grab my valuables and documents. I know I am at fault but how can I fight this or have it reduced where it won’t show on my record? I am an international student living on student visa status and ultimately will be going for an H1 visa?

Asked on August 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is to go and hire an attorney to help you with this arrest.  An arrest and conviction can have an impact on your immigration application and status and it is not something to take lightly.  Make sure that the attorney you deal with knows how the laws interact - criminal and immigration.  You may want to consult with an immigration attorney and have him or her in contact with your criminal attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.