Is is illegal to arrange to meet someone that you met on-line if they represented themselves as 18 but were actually still a minor?

Lets say you are talking to a female on myspace who says she is 18. You set up a meeting. Before you meet you get a call from her angry parents saying she is 15. You had no idea. Was anything illegal done and will the police take any action?

Asked on September 13, 2010 under Criminal Law, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As long as you really thought that they were 18 and did nothing to contribute to the delinquency of a minor, then I would not worry.  If you had an idea that she may not be the age that she claimed to be and you had arranged to meet her, than your lucky stars that her parents interceded. I would not be surprised, though, if the police came and questioned you about the incident so be prepared.  Explain yourself honestly like you did here.  And if you start to feel uncomfortable while they are questioning you be courteous but firm that you have an appointment and you need to go but you are available to speak with them if they need any additional information.  If they could just call you to arrange a time and place.  Then consider speaking with an attorney in your area for a consultation based upon their questioning.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.