Will this judgement ever get dropped because of excessive time?

I have a warrant in debt issued by a general district 14 months ago, with a result of “default judgment”. I had left the country well before those dates and will not be going back. I have moved to another country. The principal amount is $2000 (also it says plus 18 %). What does all this mean? I obviously was not in the court for the hearing. Will this charge ever get dropped? Will I be arrested at the customs border if I ever try to go back to the country? It is because I haven’t paid my debt to a credit card company.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you have written about suggest that there was a lawsuit against you resulting in a judgment for $2,000 which apparently will accrue interest at 18% per annum until paid.

In most states a judgment is good for 10 years but can be renewed for another ten years before its initial expiration. Most likely the judgment creditor will attempt to levy upon your bank accounts or garnish your wages to get the judgment paid.

You will not be arrested upon re-entry into this country over the judgment. It is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. I suggest that you try and work on a monthly agreement to pay down the amount of the judgment so you do not have to worry about your bank accounts being levied upon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.