Wanting to find out if I am still married or am I divorce from my husband?

I lived in Ks when I left him and he moved to another state, don’t know where.
Its been 27 years and I don’t know if I got the divorce and he said he didn’t
file for divorce. He got in touch with me this year and said I filed but I don’t
remember. How can I be sure?

Asked on May 5, 2017 under Family Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

At the court where you may have filed your petition for dissolution of marriage, look in the computer for your name under petitioner or your husband's name under respondent to obtain the case number. Then, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can have any or all pages you want photocopied by the court clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.