What to do if I want to end my lease early because the gas was shut off before I moved in and is still shut off due to non-payment by my present roommate?

I have been renting an apartment for over 2 months. My roommate and the former tenant got behind on their gas bill and it was shut off before I moved in and currently still is. The electricity was also shut off when I moved in too. I helped my roommate pay the late bills for the electricity (even though I wasn’t living there during the time the electric wasn’t paid) but I can’t afford to do the same with the gas and I refuse. The stove is a gas stove so other than a microwave I can’t cook anything. I would like to get out of my 12 month lease but the landlord says I have to find someone to take my place. I fear that no one will want to rent a place they can’t cook a meal in? Do I have any grounds to terminate my lease early without penalty or having to find a replacement tenant?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if you have a sub-lease to be a tenant in the unit you occupy where your roommate is responsible for paying the utility bill directly and not the owner of the rental, you have a factual and legal basis to terminate your sub-lease without recourse.

However, if your lease is directly with the owner of the rental and the tenants are responsible for paying the utility bill directly to the utility company, you do not have a factual and legal basis to end your lease without recourse with the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.