want turn myself in jail

I have three bench warrants that are 3
years from my past an want go turn
myself in how should go about that .

Asked on March 12, 2016 under Criminal Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are right to want to turn yourself in and take care of these warrants. The fact is that warrants do not expire. Therefore, you could be taken into custody if you are stopped for speeding, jaywalking, etc. And it is best to appear before the judge voluntarily. Since you have 3 warrants, it is critical to get expertienced legal counsel to represent you in this matter. Heavy fines and/or jail time may attach in this situation. At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney in the area of where the warrants were issued. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.