want to leave home

i am 16 years old. i am going on 17 in a few weeks.. however, i want to leave home and live with the man i love. how can i go about doing this with out my parents going after me for running away or after my boyfriend. my boyfrined is over 18. so yeah. my mom just dont understand and is making my life a liveing hell..so how do i leave my home with leagle trouble…

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Family Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As much as it is or may not be my right to say this, but you may be making a terible decision.  I have seen and had clients ask me questions about emancipation and being free from their parents, however, at the end of the day, they always end up wanting to go back to them.  I can understand you being in a difficult and upsetting environment, but trying to run from the issue is not the solution but will only delay and inhibit you from really reaching and solving the problems you have with your folks - who only want the best for you.  while they do not show it, they do.  This 18 year old that you may love, may not be the best thing for your right now.  you need to get done with school and go to college and that way you can be apart from them and see more of what the world has to offer.  please trust me. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.