Canalimony be terminated or adjusted?

I was married 33 years ago, separated 17 years ago and  divorced a year later. Alimony was set at that time with no limitations. I am looking at retirement but continuing to pay alimony will seriously hamper that reality.

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Alabama ha a very liberal set of criteria for alimony in that it appears that the coruts have great discretion in awarding large amounts for long periods of time.  I marriages over 10 years retirement benefits are included in the supporting spouses estate for purposes of determining ana mount and length.  I would seek legal help here to have some one look at what happend and see where this can be modified is at all.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.