WalMart Tire Center did not install lug nuts on wheel resulting in damage — how do I collect

Walmart Tire Center in Alabama did not install lug nuts on my 2011 Ford King
Ranch 4×4 work truck. Less than a mile after leaving, my employee had the front
left wheel come off causing damage and narrowly missing other cars. My truck had
nearly 3000 in damage and I spent over 2100 on a rental truck for the three
weeks it took to fix. My employee, who has mild anxiety, could not work for
three weeks. WalMart accepts all liability for the event. Their claims company
does not want to pay me for the full cost of my rental, wanting to limit to three
days. I told them I would not settle and would pay out of my pocket until we
come to an agreement. I called three lawyers who said WalMart likes to bully
through the use of large companies and would be on the cheap in reimbursing me
for my loss. Where do I go now? My total far exceeds the 6000 small claims
limit in Alabama. Advice?

Asked on April 9, 2016 under Accident Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since you are dissatisfied with the settlement offers, your only recourse is to sue WalMart for negligence in Superior Court which will allow you to seek compensation beyond the $6000 Small Claims Court limit.
Your state may have a different name for Superior Court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.