IfI amopposed to divorce buthave beenserved, would it be in my best interest to respond by signing the waiver of service or to file an “answer” instead?

I have just received a copy of the original petition for divorce, which my husband filed for last week, along with a waiver of service requesting my signature. Although I am opposed to the divorce and would prefer to seek alternative solutions to resolving the marriage, I understand that my consent is not necessary for obtaining it.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


Lyle Johnson / Lyle W. Johnson Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The waiver of service merely allows him to serve you by mail.  After signing the waiver you have the right to file an answer.  In that answer you can deny that irreconciable difference exist in the marriage. This will stop the divorce process only if he is willing to go to counseling and both of you are willing to make the changes required to save the marriage. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.