Wages withold

My former employer is keeping my final paycheck and refusing to contact me. They keep leading me around, lying to me about sending it, then telling me the administrator has it. The HR person suddenly resigned without warning so I can’t get hold of anyone. They claimed they sent it then lied. I can’t stop by and pick it up. I have proof I worked there. There are cameras in the building to prove I worked as well as the person I was training with. I still have their uniform and last paystub. What can I do legally?

Asked on December 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If your lawfully earned wages are not being paid, then you have 2 choices here. You can either sue your former employer in small claims court or you can file a wage claim with your state's department of labor.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.