Wage bait and switch

My husband was promised a certain wage and certain job duties
and is not being paid half of what he was promised and doing
completely different work than he was hired to do. I doubt the
wage offer was in writing, but the employer has done this
repeatedly according to other employees. Is there recourse?

Asked on June 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless your husband has an employment contract or union agreement that guarantees his duties, wages and schedule, he is an "at will" worker. This means that, absent some form of actionable discrimination, his employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. His only recourse here is to complain but risk termination or quit and find employment elsewhere. While seemingly unfair, it is the law.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there is no written employment contract, there is no recourse, unfortunately. In the absence of a written contract, all employment is "employment at will." This means, among other things, that an employer may change hours, pay, duties, benefits, etc. at any time, for any reaon; therefore, the employer may freely renege on oral promises made to employees, and there is no recourse for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.