If I own a company and want to hire some employees, as long as I sponsor them can they be either w2 or 1099?

Asked on August 30, 2011 New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It's not clear what you mean by "sponsor" them--are you talking about employing people who are not U.S. citizens? If so, speak with an immigration attorney--the rules are very complex.

More generally: you can use independent contractors (1099 workers) instead of employees (W2), BUT they must truly be independent contractors--they can't be employees you call or pay as independent contractors. If you go to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) website, you can find information about the disintinction between independent contractors and employees; the short answer is, if you control the hours of employement, how they do their job, where they do their job, and they are not economically independent of you (e.g. no other clients; don't advertise their own services to potential customers; don't provide own equipment), then they are almost certainly employees and must be paid as such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.