If I want to divorce my husband, can I change the type of visa I’m on so that it’s not connected to my husband’s?

I am a UK national and live in the US. I moved here last year with my husband also a British citizen and I am on an L2 visa. I want to divorce him indefinitely on his part and stay here. I know that if I legally separate the visa is OK but a full divorce impacts the visa.

Asked on August 23, 2015 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are legally divorced, you cannot remain on the L-2 visa since that's a dependent visa.  You would have to qualify for a nonimmigrant visa in your own right, based on employment, another marriage, studies, etc.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.