violating probation by leaving the country

what happens if to someone if they are on probation and chose to leave the country with illgeal documents for a passaport and they goto mexico?

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you are proposing here is illegal on many levels.

First off, procuring and using false documents for the purpose of obtaining a passport is a felony (probably more like 2 or 3).  Secondly, breaking probation is an offense that will result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest.  And warrants don't expire - ever.

What you are proposing is not only illegal but completely stupid.  Getting false documents will be difficult if not impossible (it's not like in the movies).  Even if by some fluke you do get them obtaining a false passport is not easily managed.  Post 9/11, with all the checks and double checks, you'll probably get caught during the application process.  And finally, in light of the warrant that will be issued, you can never come back into this country.   At least not using your real name.  But then again, I suppose you'll be able to use that neat and nifty false passport.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.