View and property values being destroyed by neighbor’s large structure.

I live in an area that is zoned EFU (

Asked on May 14, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he is building something permitted by zoning and building ordinances, then there is nothing you can do: the law lets each landowner build on and use his land in the ways permitted for that location, even if there is an ancilllary negative effect (e.g. destroying views) on neighbors. Your view over *his* property does not trump his right to make legal use of his land, unfortunately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.