Vehicle/pedestrian accident in parking lot

My sister was riding her bike in a parking lot headed to class. When
making a left turn in the parking lot a car was making a right turn
and struck her head on. The owner of the car was in the passenger
seat and her boyfriend was driving. My family is in desperate need
of legal advice on what to do next.

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the driver of the car was negligent, or driving carelessly, then he may be liable, or responsible, for any injuries your sister suffered; and if the drievr is liable, then the owner of the vehicle, who allowed him to drive, may be liable, too, since the owner of a vehicle is equally liable as those he or she permitted to drive. So if the driver was careless when he struck your sister, he and the car's owner may be  liable for her out-of-pocket medical costs and property damage, as well as "pain and suffering" if she suffered long-term significant life impairment or disability.
Conversely, if the driver was driving safely and your sister was riding her bike carelessly, *she* could be liable for any damage to the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.