vehicle accident on private properrty

my vehile was parked and hit by an vehile while backing and the driver drove off and i call the police they found the driver drunk and passed out at his home, the driver was not the owner and the owner had no insurance, i went to sign a warrent on the driver for leving the seen of the accident and was told i could not do that because i had no proof, his paint was on my car and my paint was on his car. i was the only wittness the damage to my car range from 2,000 to 2,500 what can i do

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Accident Law, Alabama


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

what you should do is contact a local attorney who specializes in this type of law. With you being the only witness you will have that issue but at the same time if you made the proper reports as is sounds like you did and if the police told you it was him, his car was damaged etc you have a pretty good case.

What you will want to do is see if you can get pictures of the damage to both cars, possibly speak to the officers in charge and try to get all the evidence you can. Although before doing any of this speak with an attorney to ensure you do everything by the book. At that point you can see if you have enough to make a civil claim for property damage against the driver. Only after having all teh facts can an attorney advise as to whether they would proceed. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.