What to do if a utility company refuses to turn gas on in my husband’s name due to a past due balance I had before we were married?

My gas was disconnected due to an old balance I had about 6 years ago. I was not able to pay the balance so instead I tried to put the bill in my husbands name. The company refuses to put the bill in my husbands name because he is married to me. The old balance is from a residence I had long before we got married. Can they refuse to put the bill in his name due to a old balance I have before we were married?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely they can refuse. The two of you are married and so if you refuse to pay this one, it becomes a marital debt. You should work with the utility company to pay off the old debt and that way, the company then cannot refuse to place it in your husband's name since the debt would be paid off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.