Will a US citizen marrying a foreigner on tourist visa in the US, hurtthe tourist’s chances for immigration?

I am a US citizen who plans on marrying my fiancee when she comes over in a week on a tourist visa. She will be here a couple weeks before going back to England for work and plans to move in a few months back to the US permanently. Is this a bad way to go about all this? Will she be able to travel and come back?

Asked on December 12, 2010 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should be fine.   Generally speaking it is perfectly legal to enter the United States to marry someone on a travel visa as long as you go home when the visa expires.  You can not enter on a travel visa with the intention of staying here in the United States. What I would suggest that you do while she is here is seek help from an Immigration attorney to put the wheels i to motion to secure the necessary spouse so that she may then re-enter the United States once things in England are cleared up.  I am not sure what her capabilities to travel back and forth during those months will be.  The attorney can best let you know.  Good luck and Congratulations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.