What to do about an alleged breached stipulation agreement regarding an unlawful detainer?

I’ve entered into a stipulated arrangement with the landlord in court during the unlawful detainer proceedings. The courts issued the judgment against me but with the stipulated agreement that both the landlord and I agreed to.They’ve since threatened to to file a writ of possession for the property claiming that I am not agreeing to the arrangement. Do they need to prove this in front of the judge that the arrangement has been broken before requesting the writ of possession? Will I be able to prove in court again that they are lying?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You will be provided notice that they are claiming that you breached the stipulation and are seeking a writ of possession on that basis; you will therefore have the opportunity to go to court and dispute their case. You could also file an application for relief, such as by filing what's often known as an "order to show cause" (a request for a court order), either pre-emptively, if you believe they are harassing you or otherwise violating the stipulation, or after a writ is issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.