What to do about a summons for an unlawful detainer?

I was served an unlawful detainer that was left on my door 4 days ago. They put my husband and I on it but my name is not right. It was not due to rent issues but rather subleasing the place illegally. In the summons they show my husband and i as signing the lease last year but we did not and other issues are clear with summons. Do I file a motion to quash based on the service. My concern is if I file a motion to quash will it hurt me to file a demurrer after to challenge the causes? Also, the issue with the name, is that an issue for motion to quash or for the demurrerl; the name was wrong on the 3 day notice and summons?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to the summons and complaint for the unlawful detainer that was left on your door, proper service was not made.

If so, then you have the option to immediately file a motion to strike and quash service as well as a demurrer to the summons and complaint after the motion to strike and quash is heard. Filing the motion to strike/quash will not per se harm your intent to file the demurrer.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to assist you in your matter. The wrong name on the pleadings would be a basis for the demurrer, i.e. misjoinder of parties.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.