Unfair treatment and discrimination in the workplace.

Where I work, there is no supervisor or person in charge and there’s no proper training. Work conditions are not safe and the staff feels incompetent because of the lack of training. I have been working for employer for over 6 months. I started working at a different hospital and for the same company, so I can see how employees from both locations get treated differently.

Asked on September 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Discrimination in the workplace has to do with lesser treatment based on an employee's race, religion, age (over 40), disability, gender, national origin, or the like. And you did not indicate such to be the case in your situation. Further, poor treatment by an employer is ony actionable (absent the aforementioned discrimintion), if it breached any applicable employment contract or union agreement. Otherwise, as an "at will" worker, your company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. For your part, you can either accept these conditions, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.