Unemployment Insurance–Abandoned Claim?

I filed my unemployment insurance claim in California on 5/3/09. I received a form asking for information regarding my work search for the first two weeks (ending 5/16) some time ago but did not return it until today (5/4) when I sent it back via express mail. I think I received a document requesting documents to verify my eligibility to work in the U.S. i but I can’t find it. Questions:1) Have I abandoned my claim?2) If so, have I abandoned it permanently or just for the past?3) If so, what can I do to preserve my eligibility for benefits going forward?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a little more organized, I think.  You should be able either call or go on line, to find out from California unemployment, what the status of your application is, and what they need to fix whatever problems there might be.

Unemployment insurance, like any government program that provides benefits, has rules, and you have to prove that you fit all the rules to get the money.  It's important to keep track of these things.

If you hit a real stone wall, you might want to talk to a lawyer in your area, who can give you reliable advice that is based on all the facts.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.