What to do if I was undercharged for a wedding dress?

I bought a dress for my daughter. When I asked how much it cost and the sales person told me must less than I expected, so I purchased it. When I got home the store called and ask me to return it. Do I legally have to return the dress?

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as you have a bill of sale saying that you have paid for the dress in full, you are not obligated to pay any additional amounts.  In fact, if they told you a price, completed the sale at that price, then they are stuck with that price.  The only exception would be if you signed some type of contract which obligated you to correct any mistakes in the purchase agreement-- which virtually never happens. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.