Is there anything that I can do if 20 years after the fact I found out that the executor of the my mother’s estate lied about about knowledge of 2 of her rings?

She had stated that she knew nothing about them or where they were. I now find out she had them all along. Is there is anything that can be done now?

Asked on August 31, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is something in the law known as the "statute of limitations". This is the time period in which a lawsuit (either criminal or civil) must be brought. While it differs depending on the tiype of case involved, as well as the state in which the action would be brought, it is safe to say that after 20 years the statute as run. This means that it is probably too late to file a claim against this woman.

That having been said, the SL can be "tolled" (i.e. temporarily stopped) for a time due to certain factors. At this point, you may want to consult directly with an attorney and go over the details of your case. Depending on the specific facts of your situation, you may still be able to bring suit (although given the 2 decade timeframe it would be unlikely).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.