Tutition reimbursement

My employer provides tuition reimbursement for my MBA with the caveat that I have to work for the company a year after I graduate. I have not completed the program yet but I’m leaving the company to pursue other opportunities. They asked me to pay back the tuition reimbursement. Do I have a legal argument not to pay back. Here are some facts The division was recently sold to another company thus they freeze all internal job applications and career mobility until the transaction closes. I decided to leave because the employer is not utilizing my new set of skills as I have obtained from my MBA courses. My recent performance review has zero comment on the development section.

Asked on April 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

None of the factors you describe has any legal bearing on your obligation to reimburse the tuition, unless there is a written tuition reimbursement agreement stating that one or more of these factors excuses repayment. Otherwise, if the agreement was simply that you would repay if you left prior to a year after graduation, then if you have not stayed for a full year after graduating, you must repay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.