Tuition Reimbursemnt

I had a tuition reimbursement agreement with my employer. They were assisting me
with some of my grad school costs. I had to leave the company because I received
an amazing career opportunity at the company of my choice. I received a letter
from my previous employer to pay them back 10,500 IMMEDIATELY or it will go on
my PERMANENT RECORD. That is a big sum of money and I cannot afford to pay it all
at once, but i also do not want it to go on my permanant record. i want to work
up a repayment plan, i just need 4-5 months to pay off the full-amount. is this

Asked on July 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Absent some agreement to the contrary, this reimbursement is due immediately. Granted this is a larege sum, however legally, this is your situaton. That having been said, you may well be able to negotiate a repayment plan that is acceptable to your former employer. The fact is that this would be to their benefit because if they demand a lump sum repayment, you are less likely to be able to pay.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is possible, but it is voluntary on their part: legally, under the typical tuition reimbursement agreement, you owe all the money right away; the employer can choose to give you time to  pay, but does not need to do so. All you can is negotiate with them and try to come to a mutually acceptable plan. If you do, get its terms in writing and make sure you 100% honor it (if you miss a payment, the rest will come due immediately).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.