What to do if I’m trying to get out of a lease due to a dangerous environment?

I signed a lease in an apartment complex about 9 months ago, however I have 3 months

left but can no longer take it. Since I have lived here I have had 5 incidents where I’ve had to call the police. Is there a legal way to get out of the lease because of everything that has happened to me. I have had: a $10,000 motorcycle stolen from my gated parking lot; found a kid overdosed in the parking lot; had an additional motorcycle stolen; caught someone breaking into my car; got the plates stolen off my motorcycle/car; stepped on a used syringe on the parking lot with a used spoon next to it. I have copies of all police reports and have a family. I can’t live here anymore; I am having trouble sleeping at night.

Asked on April 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you cannot get out of a lease due to the criminal acts of people not under the landlord's control (e.g. non-employees). The lease is a contract between you and your landlord; you can only get out of it without penalty if the *landord* violates its terms in some material, or imporant, way--but the actions of third parties (the criminals) does not impact the validity of the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.