How can I get my ex-wife to comply with the terms of our divorce decree?

I was divorced and in the divorce decree I am responsible for a truck loan. I have moved to a new state and my ex-wfie will not send me the necessary form to transfer the title. She has had this for the last 6 month. Is there anything I can do to force this issue and make her have the form notarized and sent to me?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In your facts, you indicate that you were previously divorced.  At the time of the divorce, the Final Judgment and Decree held you responsible for the truck loan; however, your x-spouse refuses to provide the necessary documentation for you to transfer title to the truck.  Based on your facts, it appears that she is making it impossible for you to comply with the Order of the Court.  One remedy you would have would be to file a contempt action against your former spouse.  You may even consider retaining an attorney to write a letter to your former spouse to put her on notice that a contempt action will be filed if the necessary documentation is not provided within a specified amount of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.