If my truck, tools and personal items stolen from contractor parking lot at chemical plant, can I hold them responsible for my losses?

My personal truck and $24,000 in tools and equipment were stolen from the contractor parking lot at a chemical

plant that I was working at. They have cameras and a guard that watches the gate, the contractor parking lot is

outside the gate.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. The law is clear that a person, business, renter, and/or property owner is not responsible for the criminal acts (e.g. stealing) of others, because the person, etc. did not cause the thief to break the law. Sometimes, you can try to hold the person, business, etc. liable for their "negligence," or unreasoanble carelessness, in not having a reasonable amount of security given the nature of the location, but since you write that they were taking reasonable security steps  (camera, guard), they would not have been unreasonably careless--they did what a location might reasonably be expected to do. Therefore, they would not be liable on this basis either. Based on what you write, therefore, you cannot hold the plant responsible; all you can do is submit a claim to your own insurance, if you have applicable coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.