If I am defaulting on a loan for my car, can the company repossess my husband’s car as well?

I can’t pay my car payment. I asked them to repo but they are threatening to take my husband’s $car, can they do that ( the loan in question is on my car). Will they take his car? We are joint on the default loan.

Asked on March 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether the car is really your car or your husband's car in terms of who uses it is of no consequence to the lender. The issue here is whether you are both on the loan.  If it appears you are both on the loan, then that car in question can be repossessed.  If the lender refuses to accept a voluntary repossession, then file a complaint with the entity who regulates this lender and see if that route can help you.  The lender cannot simply take your husband's vehicle, especially if a) it is not part of the loan in any way and b) he didn't use his vehicle as security for your car (think of like a promissory note or title loan).  The only way I can see this happening is if the lender takes you to court, wins a lawsuit, you fail to pay, the repossession and ultimate re-sale of the motor vehicle doesn't satisfy what it is you owe on the motor vehicle and the lender then goes back to court to obtain a deficiency judgment to then try to attach a lien to your husband's motor vehicle (pre-supposing no other lien exists on the car).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.