If I trespassed on private land with signs and threw trash in the owner’s dumpster, how serious will this be if they decide to prosecute?

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Criminal trespass like you are describing is a misdemeanor.  Sometimes they are handled as a ticket in JP court... but other times they do end up in county court.  There is a risk fo jail time... but considering the minimal instrusion to throw away something versus to steal something... you would be assessed a fine and possibly a short probation.  It is not a "throw the book at 'em and throw away the key," type case. 

With that... keep in mind that the effect of any conviction will depend on your circumstances.  Some people have government jobs which are jeopardized by a misdemeanor.  Others loose access to scholarships.  Even though there is not a huge risk of jail time (assuming that you don't have an extensive history), there may be other consequences that could affect your life.  If you haven't already done the deed... avoid trespassig to avoid any potential negative consequences.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.