Traveling abroad with misdemeanor

I have been convicted for misdemeanor
for disturbing the peace. I was
sentenced for 60 days 2 year suspended
sentence. Can i still travel abroad?

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Criminal Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A misdemeanor conviction typically represents no problem to traveling internationally. That having been said it depends just where you are going. If it is to a U.S. territory a visa is not required. However, when traveling outside the U.S., a person convicted of a crime may have trouble gaining entry into their destination country. The fact is that when entering a foreign country, travelers must also obtain a visa (in addition to producing their passport). If the destination country runs a background check as part of their visa issuing process, a criminal record may prevent someone from being granted entry. The safest thing to do in your in situation is to obtain information about a country’s visa process before booking a trip.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.