Transfer on death

My husband and I have a second home in VT live in MA. We are thinking of selling it in the next couple of years. My husband bought the land that the house was built on before we were married and the house is in his name. What is involved in getting my name on the land deed? If he were to die would the house/land be transferable to me on his death? If we sell in a few years we might not have to deal with this but I still would like to understand the process and options.

Asked on October 14, 2017 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

See help of a real estate attorney in Vermont to file a new deed adding you to the house and the land.  That is all it would take.  You would own as hisband and wife and the property would pass to you sutomatically upon his death.  If, however, it is in his name only and he passes, it would go in to the general pot of the estate and either divided via Will or intestacy.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.