Transfer of released prison inmate to another state

My girlfriend is soon to be released from prison in Oklahoma. She will be required to report regularly to a court officer. My question how to get her transferred to Florida from Oklahoma immediately upon her release?

Asked on July 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If certain conditions are met, a parolee is allowed to transfer their probation to another state but their PO will have to approve. Your girlfriend should ask what the state's requirements are for moving (and get them in writing). She will then need to show her PO that she has met them. So, for example, inform the PO that she has a place to live, a job lined up, etc. (and have proof). This should make make for a strong case. If not, then she'll have to stay where she is and finish her parole there. That having been said, you should be aware that if her PO does not give her authorization for the transfer, she may appeal the decision with the judge who presided over her trial, etc. and be prepared to show that the decision places her at an extreme hardship (and have proof). Just be aware that judges typically rule on the side of the PO. Also, be aware that transferring probation from one state to another also requires the agreement of the receiving state, which means that the state that your GF wants to move to must agree to accept her. At this point, you should consult with a criminal law attorney. In the meantime here is a link to a site that may be of further help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.