My employer has set up a ‘management’ training to be done by a fellow manager. This manager has no credentials and is known for being difficult to work with and his own employees have issues. He is to train us and mentor us one on one regarding how to deal with employees and conduct business. I have had several encounters with him where he has be littled employees, his and others. Told someone they weren’t worth what they get paid. He has no formal training in any of the areas he is going to teach. Can my employer force me into training with him? What can they do if I refuse? I also do not want to be one on one with him as he talks so horribly about others I don’t want to be apart of it.

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your employer can choose whoever it wants to train you, unless doing so violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Accordingly, you can either accept training with this co-worker, refuse such training but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.