What to do about rot to my townhouse caused by my neighbor’s downspout?

My neighbor’s downspout is attached to my wall and the water drained inside my exterior wall. I found this out when replacing all the exterior trim. Under the siding it’s all rotted out. Since it was under the siding, we didn’t notice the damage. The only downspout on this narrow wall of mine is her downspout. The builder did this 25 years ago. Her unit is under contract and her realtor said that it’s my problem and won’t talk to me. This is a problem caused by the run off from her roof. Her side needs to be fixed as this will be an ongoing problem.

Asked on July 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You most likely have no recourse: your neighbor would only be liable if both the following were true:
1) The downspout is not just for her roof, but she actually owns or controls it, so she is the one who could fix, correct, move, etc. it if necessary. If she could not control the downspout, she is not liable for any damage done by it.
2) She had knowledge of the damage that was being done, since without knowing there was a problem, there would be no reason for her to take action--and no liability for not doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.