tow company throwing my things away

so i hit black ice and rolled my truck on highway im
from arizona i had told the tow truck owener i had no
way to get my truck out i had friends pick me up and
came back to arizona a week hadnt gone buy when i called
and told them i be coming back for truck in a week or
two he had told me they cleaned it out and threw away my
close becuse it had desil on it can they do that

Asked on November 5, 2018 under Accident Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for the value of the items that were disgarded. However, this would require your paying a filing fee (which can be reimbursed if you win) but it will also cost you a day off of work. Bottom line, it this worth it to you. If so, then have a lsit ot the items lost and some documentation as to their value when you appear before the judge.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for the value of your clothing and other discarded items. Unfortunately, a lawsuit is the only way to get compensation (assuming they do not voluntarily offer you any), and it's questionable about whether even a small claims suit as your own attorney ("pro se") would be worthwhile: you'd have to lose at least one work day to the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.