totaled car

I was recently hit from behind (other driver was ticketed) and I own a 1998 vehicle blue book value 4000 the damage will exceed the value so the car will be totaled but car is worth more sold privately – I will get the 4000 they take car and now I have no car and not enough $ for a replacement – what options are available

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Accident Law, Colorado


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have 4K, and a job, I suggest going an executing a 2 year lease with a car dealership if they will agree to a 2 year lease.  You can use some of the money as a downpayment on the lease and the rest to cover some payments.  When you save up enough money, you can buy a new car.  You can also try to locate another used car and put 4K down on and finance the rest over time untill you own the car.  You can probably get a good deal by looking at "carmax" on the internet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.