Could an otherwise fully licensed food truck be permitted to sell beer, either in general or at a special event or is there something in the codes that forbid this?

If so, would it be able to operate under a caterer permit or would it have to be an on-sale special event permit and only be used for certain events? I have been looking through the beer codes section of my state code but it can be a little bit confusing to me.

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Business Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about for you to sell beer from a fully licensed food truck you would be required to have a liquor license in effect under the laws of your state to make the alcohol sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.