To receive loss of income compensation in an auto claim is it mandatory to show a doctors note saying one needs time off work or is a letter from ones employer alone fine?

I was wondering if I have an auto claim
and I want to report loss of income is it
mandatory to have a doctors note
saying I needed to take time off work?
Or is it fine to just provide a letter from
my employer saying I took time off of
work for not having a car and being
injured as well?

Asked on October 9, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The  medical bills, medical reports, and wage loss are separate components of your personal injury claim. The medical bills show the dates of treatment.
Your wage loss claim is from your employer and should show your dates of absence, hours and rate of pay along with your total wage loss.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary, which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills,  medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  All of these items should be included in your personal injury claim, but again the wage loss is from your employer.  A doctor's note is not required for wage loss. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.