Does a coroner have the right to enter and remove items such as cash and a steel box of papers from a house where a person has died?

The person was found outside away from the home and had fallen and died by accident. Also, in order to find a Will, if the family calls around to our local lawyers trying to find out who made out the Will, are they even able to tell us if they have it? Finally, do you have to have the original Will to hold up in court and take over an estate?

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The coroner under the laws of all states in this country has no right to take anything away from the home where a person has passed other than the deceased person.

Ordinarily if a Will or trust is not found, family members call local attorneys to see if they drafted a Will and they can say they did. If the original Will cannot be found, a copy of it can be submitted to probate.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.