Three months ago, the dea had a search warrant to come in my house and search for drugs. They found drugs in my sons room. Why did they take my stuff?

I am the father and they took my things. They took my gun collection, my car. I still haven’t recieved an inventory of the things they took from me. How can they take my belongings even though I was unaware of his doings? Is there a time line for them to provide me with a list? They seized my car because they claim they found something in it. It was in my garage when they took it. They did not find anything else in the house except what was in his room. Do I get to see a video on what they found in the car or just take their word for it.

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're going to need a lawyer, one who does federal criminal practice, to get this sorted out.

Without all of the facts, it's hard to say what is going to happen here.  Some of what was taken might be as evidence, some of it might be targeted for civil forfeiture proceedings -- to take away and give to the government property used in drug dealing, and this could mean your car.  You have to consider the possibility that your son, who succeeded in hiding his drugs in the house from you -- or one of his friends -- might have left something behind in the car.

Unless your son had a separate apartment in the building, it will probably be looked at as at least partly your problem, and you might even be charged with drug possession yourself.  You will need your own attorney, separate from whatever representation your son gets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.